In Conversation with Harry, Aged 5¾.
Random questions from kids are one of the delights of Father/Parenthood. So here’s a weekly ‘Question of the Week’ mini-post to celebrate them.
And here’s how it went down…
– Are you better than a clown, Daddy?
– What do you mean, Harry?
– Are you BETTER than a CLOWN, Daddy
– In what way, Harry? At falling over? At juggling? At wearing big shoes?
– All of them, Daddy.
– Well, I guess I’ve got quite big shoes. And I’m quite clumsy.
– What’s clumsy, Daddy?
– When you fall over a lot.
– Like they do in rugby, Daddy?
– No, in rugby they get knocked over. Clumsy is when you fall over by accident.
– Ah, like clowns?
– Um. No clowns do it on purpose.
– Are clowns better than you at doing it on purpose?
[tries a bit of slapstick, hurts leg]
– Are you OK, Daddy? Do clowns hurt themselves?
– No. And no.
– Oh. Are your shoes bigger than a clown’s shoe?
[googles “clown shoe size”, discovers a WHOLE new world, freaks the fuck out]
– Um. The average size of a clown’s shoe is 13, I’m size 11.
– Hmm. Are you better at juggling than a clown, Daddy?
– [gets 3 apples, juggles]
– Hahahahaha. You’re a rubbish clown, Daddy.
– Um. I’m not sure how to take that, Harry.
– Can you fall over on purpose again Daddy?
– No. Can we talk about something else?